school contact: (502) 477-9617 ext. 200 or click email icon to the right
Preschool Curriculum & Instruction
Children ages 3 & 4 (as of October 1st)
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (A.M. Session)
1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (P.M. Session)
SCS approaches learning through an unashamedly Christian viewpoint. We utilize Bible stories, prayer time and praise music, and our Christian teachers pray for their students daily.
Small Class Sizes
up to 16 children per class
with two teachers in each room
|Registration Fee||$100||Due at time of registration (nonrefundable).|
|Annual Tuition (AM session)||$1750||Due in 9 monthly installments of $195/each.|
|Annual Tuition (PM session)||$1530||Due in 9 monthly installments of $170/each.|
Tuition is due on the first school week of each month, September through May.
(Tuition and Fees are for the 2019-2020 school year.)
An additional 4% discount is available for families paying the annual amount in advance.
You may be wondering, “What exactly will my child do during a typical day at preschool?”Let me assure you A LOT! As a school, we believe that children learn best by doing and that you must educate the whole child (emotion, mental, physical, social, and spiritual) in order to educate them well.
Below is a sample schedule of what a typical day at preschool might look like:
- 8:40 – 8:55 Drop-Off Line (a teacher helps children from their cars and to their classrooms)
- 9:00 – 9:15 Table Time (puzzles and manipulatives)
- 9:15 – 9: 45 Circle Time (Bible story, calendar, weather, children’s literature)
- 9:45 – 10:30 Center Time (children will choose freely and “work” at a variety of learning centers such as home living, blocks, library, art, teacher directed, sensory and many more!)
- 10:30 – 11:00 Restroom Break and Snack Time (the school will provide a nutritious snack each day)
- 11:00 – 11:30 Large gross motor skills activity time (outdoor/indoor exercise)
- 11:30 – 11:45 Small Group time (teachers work with small groups on handwriting and math skills)
- 11:45 – 12:00 Circle Time, Review, Prepare to go home
Junior Kindergarten class will be from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Junior Kindergarten will operate 34 weeks (beginning two weeks before Labor Day and ending before Memorial Day).
Junior Kindergarten class placement will be determined by SCS Administration based on the following:
1. Five years old (special consideration will be given to students with birthdates between June 1 and January 1).
2. Admissions screening (students will meet with a SCS Staff member for an academic screening).
3. Behavior recommendation from previous classroom teacher.
4. Students who have attended two years of preschool will be given special consideration.
Registration (non-refundable): $100
2019-2020 Monthly Tuition: $205
Installments: 10 months
First payment due: August 1
With the change in cut-off date in the State of Kentucky for Kindergarten admittance combined with increased academic expectations during the Kindergarten year, SCS now offers Junior Kindergarten. This year can be utilized as a third year of preschool or a transitional Kindergarten year for students who would benefit from one more year before formal schooling begins. Junior Kindergarten at SCS will reinforce the basic skills, work habits, and attitudes that are of crucial importance during the primary years using the complete Junior Kindergarten curriculum published by Memoria Press.
Phonics and Pre-Reading
Learning the alphabet is the critical first step in learning how to read. The Alphabet Book teaches letter recognition, letter formation, and pencil grip as well as introduces initial and ending sounds. Combined with the Alphabet Coloring Book Junior Kindergarten students receive a gentle introduction to phonics.
Students will practice proper number formation, basic counting to 20, number sense concepts such as more and less and many other early math skills. Junior Kindergarten utilizes two early childhood math texts published by Rod and Staff, Counting with Numbers and Inside and Outside.
Classic picture books chosen for their beauty in prose and illustration are read aloud and discussed each week in Junior Kindergarten. Poetry and devotional books delight the children and continue to expose the early learner to quality literature.
Bible and Crafts
Students will read through the Bible with their Junior Kindergarten teacher. They will also complete weekly crafts which continue to develop cutting and other fine motor skills.
Physical Education and Snack Time
Students are given 25 minute each day to play on the playground or in the gymnasium. SCS provides snacks for Junior Kindergarten students each morning.
“I want to brag on Ms.M for a minute. I had to take my son to be evaluated for kindergarten today. They let me watch as they asked him questions, made patterns with blocks, etc., all stuff I am sure you are familiar with being a teacher. I just wanted to tell you that I can really see how much he has learned this year. Ms. M has done a great job with my son. I will be honest, I was shocked at how much he knew and what he could do. Things I know she has worked with them on. I am very thankful that she was his teacher.”